Friday, July 28, 2006

You can’t get rid of me that easily.....

I am very happy to announce that I shall be continuing my research for at least another year. I have been accepted for a post-doctoral research position in John M. Henderson’s Visual Cognition lab in the Edinburgh University Psychology department. Now I know what you’re all thinking: “I thought he was already in Edinburgh Uni”. You are correct. My current status is as a Research Associate for the Le Active Math project employed by Moray House School of Education at Edinburgh University. However, my move to Psychology will be a very fortuitous one as it will allow me to conduct my research without distraction and within a group of likeminded people.

This move to psychology has only been made possible by the uncannily well-timed move of John Henderson’s visual cognition lab from Michigan State University to Edinburgh. John and his partner Fernanda Ferreira were offered chairs in our psychology department and they were wise enough to accept. In the simple signing of a contract Edinburgh has suddenly become a hot-bed of eyetracking and visual cognition research. John, for those of you who don’t know, is one of the foremost researchers in the field of visual search, scene perception, and visual cognition in general. If you read my thesis you will find that he is one of my most cited people. His work is highly influential and I am sure that it will continue to be so from his base in Edinburgh.

John has been very encouraging of my research and interested in the theories I have been developing. As a post-doc under John I shall be continuing my research into the use of attentional cues in film to create the perception of continuity. I will also be expanding my theoretical, methodological, and writing skills to begin establishing myself as a visual cognition researcher.

Thank you, John for this opportunity.

So it looks as if you (reader) won’t be getting rid of me or this blog for a few years to come :)

No comments: